Fashion Sewing Club
Leather Trim Top:McCall’s 6964, adapted.
Fabric: Eileen Fischer ponte and faux leather for trim.
Skirt: McCalls 6654, textured double knit,
Scarf made from polyester mesh.
Second Time Around Is the Charm Jacket: McCalls 5668, View A
I made this jacket for July Club and really liked the styling but was extremely disappointed in my linen fabric choice. This time I used a silk/cotton blend and drafted a lining. I am much happier with the results.
Short Pink Vest: Butterick 6329, View A
Favorite Tee with Shirttail, 6964, Viscose Knit
Fabric: Rayon Ponte, amount to pattern. Optional knit for underling.
Pattern and Constructions Changes:
1. If choosing to underline vest cut out the vest pattern pieces in a lightweight knit as well.
2. Construct jacket front and back as instructed for jacket and underlining. Optional to topstitch jacket at this point.
3. Baste lining to jacket, wrong sides together.
4. Treating the jacket and underlining as one piece, complete jacket as pattern instructs.
Challenge Tee: Butterick 6218, View D
Fabric: Three different rayon jersey knits, amount to pattern. Three 5/8” buttons.
Pattern and Construction Changes:
1. The tee is described as loose fitting. Check the actual garment measurements and compare to yours. I went down a size.
2. I choose to sew both shoulder seams and added a standard tee-shirt band versus stitching one shoulder seam and using flat construction for neck band.
3. It’s a fun tee and a great way to use up some of those fabric pieces in your stash and/or purchase companion pieces to justify new purchases -yah, right!
Sewing and Quilting Expo: November 10, 11 and 12
November 2016 Fashion Sewing Club:
Tuesday, November 8,10:30 @ Treadle
Thursday, November 10, 6:30 @ JoAnn-Edina
Saturday, November 12, 10:30 @Treadle
Fashion Sewing Club
Little Boys’ Wedding Jacket
1. Despite all plans to use buttons, the thickness of the fabric wouldn’t allow buttonhole foot to move. Challenge to sewing machine designers!
2. This would be good for fleece as designed, I added facings and regular seams for a more finished look.
Mother of the Bride Dress
Vogue 1349 OOP
Border print silk
1. Not quite enough fabric to continue border around lower hem so flipped front center piece. This had a bust minimizing effect.
2. The fit and coverage made for a dress that I didn’t even know was there.
Blues Retro Jacket
Vogue 1526, another with the same lines but with set in sleeves is Butterick 6286
Various blue fabrics
1. Made a petite adjustment in middle section and widened waist to hips up one size from bust.
2. Pattern is lined with facings-I didn’t line, very easy not to.
3. Buttonholes are in seams-fun to do.
4. Pattern calls for wool crepe and then interfacing all pieces (?)
Princess Seam Skirt
Some suggestions-McCalls’s 7392, 7096
1. Used triple coverstitch for topstitiching, covering edge of seam.
1. Pocket has raw edges.